Monday, June 22, 2009

To Falling in Love

While the 80s and 90s had those movies where the hero and heroines ‘bumped’ into each other and immediately sang around trees in Switzerland/Ooty, the new wave of Tam Cinema, bless its heart, makes it as realistic as possible. (chortle!)

Why do we fall in love: (oh, boy!)

1) The adrenaline rush when your eyes meet. (Love makes you squint? A squint gives a rush?)

The flutter in your stomach that is not a result of road-side food.

2) Looking directly into someone's eyes and holding their gaze. (I saw Suresh Gopi do that with Ratheesh in ‘Commissioner’. He followed that moment up with, “Ppa, pulle!”)

I remember this happening at a funeral once but just for that rush, I'd gladly kill anyone in my family!

3) No matter what you're doing or who you're with, being acutely aware of where the other person is in your periphery.

Try to imagine it in a romantic set up...a la in the middle of a crowded cafeteria and not stalking someone in the middle of the night - not that I have ever done that! (Try driving with a squint when all oncoming vehicles are on high beam.)

4) Viewing the most banal life events through fresh eyes. (All that squinting can wear them out.)

Suddenly, a boring afternoon at some distant cousin's wedding is more glam coz you imagine his/her reaction to your uncle's inappropriate jokes.

5) The revitalisation of your own life.

The beach has never looked more beautiful than when I was feverishly feeling up the love of my life! (As the ashes of the deceased were being immersed. Feel free to judge her, dear reader. Yes, Lak, I’m talking to you.)

6) How beautiful you feel though you haven’t waxed your leg in a month or bothered to wear deo on a hot summer day.

Ditto from 5.

7) The excitement at the prospect of sharing your day with that person.

Many a Doctor's office waiting room has been the recipient of my girly giggles on account of some lame insight transformed into comedy gold through hormones. (And long-suffering friends are duly cudgeled with the comedy gold.)

8) Wondering what your future (the second date) would be together and feeling pleasantly nervous about the uncertainty of it all. (Her friends are just nervous. About the looming iceberg.)

9) Gaining self confidence.

Suddenly the corny lines are gems of self affirmation and nothing is impossible indeed.

Fret not, readers! I haven’t transformed from self-involved bitch (Yes, this post was not about her at all!). "Pada Pada" from Vennila Kabadikuzhu reminded me of what it is to fall in love.

While I waxed poetic about Vishnu Vishal being The One, Fao San and Bing unhelpfully reminded me how many times a day I say that about my potential conquests and how it translates to less than a one-night stand! Cynics! (Bite me.)

No comments: